Reports To: Bindery/Finishing Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Effective Date: June 2019
Performs responsible manual and machine operator tasks in the set-up, maintenance and operation of cutters, collators, folders and stitchers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Reviews and interprets instructions; orders materials; completes production records (time sheets, job jackets, etc.).
- Performs process related trouble-shooting and correction; monitors production.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance.
- Performs cutting operations – cuts stock on guillotine; does finish cutting on guillotine; performs calculations; removes or replaces knives on cutters/trimmers; programs multiple cuts on automated cutters.
- Performs folder operations – sets up and adjusts feeder; sets up and adjusts folder; sets up and adjusts delivery; operates folder; sets up folder for special processes (perforating, scoring, slitting/trimming, gluing, softening, etc.).
- Performs collating operations – hand gathers singles sheets and signatures; operates sheet collators and signature collators; sets up collator(s); decides on methods to assemble jobs; loads and maintains supply of sheets’ signatures.
- Performs stitching operations – sets up hand or power stitchers with or without trimmer, sets up cover feeder, sets up gauges and mechanisms to detect doubles; operates saddle stitcher; operates side stitcher; makes decisions on stitching methods; changes knife on trimmers; does minor stitcher head maintenance.
- Performs Perfect Binder operations – including set-up.
- Performs other binding operations; punches; plastic binder.
- Assists in clean up and keeping immediate work area neat and orderly.
- Performs other tasks as requested.
- Thorough understand of bindery equipment operation.
- Ability to apply written instructions to machine set-up.
- Strong analytical skills/problem solver.
- Requires good math skills.
- Reliability through attendance, punctuality and attention to work station.
- Demonstrates positive safe behavior.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Consistent attendance at the work place is required.
- Bindery experience helpful.