Reports To: Electronic Pre-Press Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Effective Date: April 2019
Performs basic pre-press operations, including preflighting and correcting customer-supplied files and laying them out for press using Kodak Prinergy software.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Must be able to run complex 4, 5 & 6-color jobs taking customer files and setting them up to run successfully through Kodak Prinergy workflow regardless of the layout software used by the customer.
- Must be able to clean up the color palette at the desktop level so color separation issues will be resolved BEFORE it goes to Kodak Prinergy workflow. Correcting these color issues can involve work in Adobe Creative Cloud programs, PitStop, Quark Xpress, etc.
- Performs Photoshop corrections, cleanups, image editing, and color corrections when needed. Must be able to correct color to customer’s specifications or matching sample provided.
- Must recognize the need for varnishes (including spot varnishes), and the ability to create complex varnishes.
- Must recognize areas that may present trap issues.
- Must be able to trouble shoot jobs with problems to determine the reasons for them and the ability to solve them. If the job does not run properly using common methods, then the operator will find alternative methods to make the job work without compromising the integrity of the customer’s job.
- Will take the initiative to go completely through entire job and call out problem areas and correct them.
- Will communicate as clearly as possible in writing when there are unusual circumstances with the job. The next person down the line should not have to cross the same ground to find out specific information about a difficult job.
- Must be able to create correct dies for die cuts, foils and embosses. Must also be able to put into format needed by our vendors, as well as PDF files showing position.
- Have the skill set needed to take even the most complex multi-form, multi-color job all the way through electronic layout and proofing.
- Operator will be able to perform all the same job functions required for electronic layout and proofing. This includes trouble-shooting layout problems, correcting them, and sending corrected files to plate.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Must be proficient in all operations of Desktop including preflight, press layouts, proofing and plating.
- College or vocational/technical degree in graphic design and/or equivalent experience.
- Consistent attendance at the work place is required.